After realizing that my Nitto Terra Grappler A/T”s were just not cut out for the mud, I finally upgraded to some real rubber in the form of BFGoodrich’s KM2’s.
BFGoodrich KM2 (285/75-17 Load Range E)
BFG KM2 mounted on a 17″ TRD wheel
After struggling though numerous portions of the Vermont Overland Trophy I decided that it was finally time to join the big boys and get a real off road tire. This naturally meant that I would have to upgrade to a dedicated Mud-Terrain, and after a lot of research I ended up with the KM2’s.
The BFG KM2’s In Action:
What I Liked About the KM2’s:
- Off Pavement Performance – The first thing I noticed with the KM2’s was that they were monsters off pavement. They traversed muddy, rocky, and wet terrain with confidence.
- Great Performance Aired Down – I’ve run these tires as low as 12 PSI on a factory non-beadlock wheel without them ever losing a bead or compromising a sidewall.
- Highway Performance – As far as Mud-Terrain tires go, the KM2’s are probably the quietest set out there. They were also excellent on the highway, and didn’t require me to give up on pavement performance.
- Longevity – After putting 15,000 miles on a set I can say that I didn’t see any noticeable wear on the tires.
What I Disliked About the KM2’s:
- Sucked in the Snow – Due to the large tread blocks and the lack of siping, they were pretty sketchy on snow covered roads. They’re not completely useless, but compared to an all-season or A/T they performed significantly worse. Where they did perform well in the snow though was when there was 6″ or more on the ground.
- Weak Sidewalls? – I include this because during VOT there were numerous sidewall punctures on trucks running KM2’s (It was also probably the most common tire). People tend to say that have a weak sidewall but I haven’t had any issues, and I know plenty of other people that are in the same boat.
The KM2’s were and excellent tire, they performed well on the highway and even better in the dirt. I’m pretty much sold moving forward and I can pretty much guarantee that they will be the first choice when I purchase a set of 35’s for our upcoming Jeep build.